How does refinancing a car loan work?
How does the refinancing process work for a car loan? I’ve improved my financial situation a lot since I first took out the loan, and I’d like to refinance because I think I could find better terms. What do I need to do?
Refinancing a car loan will work differently for everyone as loans depend heavily on your financial situation.
That said, you can generally expect the process to work like this:
- First, you’ll want to check your credit. It sounds like your credit has probably improved since you first took out your loan, which means that you’ll most likely get a better rate on your loan!
- Next, gather the documents you need. This will include a copy of your driver’s license, your vehicle registration, proof of insurance, and proof of income, but your lender might ask for more specific documents.
- Make sure to shop around before settling on a loan. Make sure to look at the interest rate, repayment terms, fees, and any other elements of the loan contract that are important to you for each lender that you consider.
- Once you’ve chosen a lender, it’s time to apply for the new loan.
- If you’re accepted, you’ll sign the contract and your lender will pay off your old loan for you. Then, you can begin making payments to your new lender under the new terms.
Since your financial situation has improved, you may be able to get a better rate on your car insurance policy, too! The Jerry app can collect all of your information from your existing insurer in as little as 45 seconds, then show you quotes for comparable policies from more than 50 top providers, including Nationwide, Allstate, and Travelers. The average Jerry driver saves $879 a year on car insurance!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How can I refinance my car loan?
I’ve had the same car loan for about a year. I’ve been building up my credit score since I got the loan, and now I want to refinance. What’s the best way to refinance my car loan?
Nov 17, 2021
What do you do after paying off a car loan? What do you do after paying off a car loan?
What should I do now that I’ve paid off my car loan? I want to make sure I’ve done everything so that my car is in my name.
Nov 17, 2021
How do I get out of my current car loan?
Is there a way that I can get out of my current car loan? I’m struggling financially right now, and I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to make the payments. I don’t want to lose my car, but I also don’t want to go through a repossession!
Nov 17, 2021