How does insurance handle claims involving a drunk driver?

"How can we get things paid for if my sister was hit by a drunk driver? They fled the scene, but were later caught. We don't think the drunk driver has insurance. We have full coverage, but no rental or medical coverage."

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 21, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“If the at-fault driver is uninsured, your sister may be able to use uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage is designed to cover injuries or damages when an at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance.
Your sister’s insurance would cover damages or medical bills up to her limit.
If she doesn’t have uninsured motorist coverage, her collision coverage will cover any damage done to her vehicle. She’d still be responsible for paying for a rental car or medical bills.
Depending on the cost, your sister may benefit from speaking with a lawyer. They may be able to help her get reimbursed for any out-of-pocket expenses she has in relation to the accident.
She should also reach out to her insurance. They will likely try to recover costs from the other party.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies