How does gap insurance work if my brother doesn't have full coverage on his vehicle?

My brother bought a new car last year and got gap insurance through the dealership. He has insurance, but found out after an accident that he doesn't have collision coverage. The other driver was also uninsured. Will his gap insurance cover the damage?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 03, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“Your brother will need to check with his lender or gap insurance provider to determine if he is still eligible for a claim.
Most lenders do require that financed vehicles carry both collision coverage and comprehensive coverage. Without them, he may not be eligible to file a claim.
The other issue is that the other driver was uninsured. If your brother has uninsured motorist coverage, that will kick in for any injuries and possibly property damage. If the other driver was at fault, this would provide coverage for his vehicle, meaning he would receive some sort of payout.
If your brother was at fault and does not have uninsured motorist coverage, he may not receive anything from his insurance company. He will need to contact his insurer directly to find out. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies