How do you use 4-wheel drive on a Toyota 4Runner?
My wife bought me a Toyota 4Runner Trail for my birthday and I’ve been using it for hiking and fishing trips. I feel like I could be getting more out of it if I could use the four-wheel drive system. How can I access the 4WD on my 4Runner?
Melanie Krieps Mergen · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Toyota 4RunnerTrail is a fantastic vehicle for any outdoor enthusiast. And with the four-wheel drive system, you’ll achieve much better control and performance.
Here’s how to use the four-wheel drive system on your 4Runner:
- Locate the shift lever transfer on your center console.
- With this shift lever, you can swap between two-wheel drive high, four-wheel drive high (H4), and four-wheel drive low (L4), depending on your needs.
- You must come to a complete stop and keep your foot on the brake pedal to adjust this lever. Once stopped, shift the transmission to neutral and move the shift lever transfer to the L4 or H4 position, meaning four-wheel drive low (L4) or four-wheel drive high (H4).
Here’s what else you need to know:
- You also have the option to shift your car into two-wheel-drive high (H2).
- You can shift between H2 and H4 while driving as long as you’re going less than 50 MPH. However, you should never switch to low-range 4WD or from low-range to high-range 4WD while you’re driving.
- Your car must be stopped to shift to or from L4. Press on the brake and shift into neutral. Then, move the gear shift lever to L4 (or H4).
- You can shift into either drive or reverse to set your new gear.
For more guidance, you can consult your 4Runner’s owner’s manual.
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Car Repair Resources
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
What kind of oil does a 2008 Kia Rio take?
I recently got a used car, and it will need an oil change soon. I’m able to change the oil myself, but I’m not sure what kind to get for this car. What kind of oil does a 2008 Kia Rio take?
What engine is in a Ford F150?
Does the Ford F150 have a powerful engine? I’ve been considering buying one but I’ll need to tow and haul a lot of stuff and I want to make sure that the engine will be powerful enough.
What engine is in a GMC Yukon?
I’m not sure what kind of engine my car has, but I want to go camping with my partner and I think my car is the more reliable of our two cars. Is the GMC Yukon good for towing?
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
Kia Telluride Gas Tank Size
Your Kia Telluride’s gas tank can hold either 18.8 gallons of fuel. And we’ve got some great tips on how to max out its fuel economy!
Georgia Motorcycle Insurance: Costs, Laws, and Quotes
Georgia residents face above-average rates for motorcycle insurance. Here’s why—and what you need to know.
Browse By Topics
Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free
No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies