How do you unfreeze your car door?
I live in New York State and feel like I fight with my frozen car door at least once a week during winter. What’s the best way to unfreeze a car door?
As a fellow New York state resident, I completely understand the struggle. Fortunately, there are some simple ways to help unfreeze your car door and prevent it from happening again.
Here are some ways to win the fight against your frozen door:
- Push the car door as hard as you can without denting the door to break the ice around the door’s seal.
- Chip away the ice using an ice scraper, spatula, or credit card to break the seal around the door.
- Pour lukewarm water over the rubber seal to melt the ice and open your door. It may take a few rounds of water, but you should never use hot water or you risk shattering your windows.
- Use a commercial de-icer as directed. Just don’t forget it in your car before going inside!
- Start the car remotely if possible and allow the warmth of the vehicle to melt the ice.
- Use a hairdryer to melt the ice.
To prevent having to fight your car door again:
- Cover your car with a vehicle cover or tarp.
- Close a plastic trash bag in the door so the door and frame don’t freeze together.
- Protect the rubber seals using a rubber conditioner, silicone spray, or cooking spray.
Now that winter is coming and you don’t have to worry about frozen car doors, you should look at your car insurance policy and make sure you have the coverage you need for winter.
If you have questions about coverage, want to save money, or need to purchase a roadside assistance membership, you should download the Jerry app.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I lower the payments on my car loan from Capital One?
I currently have a car loan from Capital One, and my payments are about $400 per month. I recently switched jobs to a position I love, but I unfortunately had to take a pay cut. Is there any way I can lower my monthly loan payments on my car loan?
Nov 22, 2021
How much is a custom car wrap?
I’d like to update my car. I’ve heard a custom car wrap is a great way to change the look without painting. How much does a custom car wrap cost?
Nov 22, 2021
How do I tint car tail lights?
How can I tint my car lights? I want to modify the tint on my tail lights.
Nov 22, 2021