How do you transfer car loans during a divorce in Colorado?

My future ex-spouse wants to keep the Jeep that we bought during our marriage, and we've agreed to this, but my name is still on the loan. How do I ensure that I'm not responsible for loan payments after our divorce?

“Typically, the only way to get your name off the loan is if your spouse refinances it in his name alone.
If he can’t qualify for a loan on his own or refuses to refinance, you might have to ask your lawyer about options.
From the bank’s perspective, you’re both still on the hook for the loan payments if your name is on the documents.
As soon as your spouse refinances, make sure to change your insurance policy so you are not financially responsible for any potential damages with the vehicle in the future. If you want help finding the best rates, try using the free Jerry app. Jerry compares rates from the top 50 companies and delivers the best deals to your phone in minutes. We even do all the paperwork for you, such as transferring your information to your new provider and cancelling your old policy for you.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 09, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free