How do you transfer car insurance and loans during a divorce?

My wife and I are getting divorced soon, and I want to transfer the loan title and car insurance to her. What are my options?

“The only option to transfer the loan is to get it refinanced in your wife’s name. She’ll have to apply again and qualify with her own credit and financial situation.
As long as you’re still on the loan, lenders will still hold you responsible for the payments, regardless of what the divorce decree says.
In terms of car insurance, it’s probably easiest to cancel your policy and for her to purchase a new policy. The title and registration will also have to be transferred into her name if it isn’t already.
You’ll likely also need to get your own insurance. You can ask your provider if it’s possible to keep the same policy, but the rates may change. To help you find the best deals, try using the free Jerry app to compare rates from the top 50 providers and get the best deals delivered to your phone in minutes.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 09, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free