How do you temporarily insure a car?

I'm going to visit my sister in Kansas and will be driving her spare vehicle when I'm there. How can I temporarily insure a car so I'm protected when I drive it?

Great question! While most car insurance policies are only sold in 6-month to 1-year increments, there are ways to make sure you’re covered when you drive your sister’s car.
First off, you can consider a non-owner car insurance policy. These types of policies follow the driver instead of the car, giving you the freedom to drive any car no matter who owns it. They offer liability coverage, and are usually much cheaper than a traditional auto policy.
Of course, if your sister already has the vehicle on her insurance policy, or you have an insurance policy of your own, then you are already covered, but only up to the respective policy’s limits. Non-owner insurance would kick in to cover any expenses not already taken care of by an existing policy.
If you want to get the best deal on a non-owner policy, check out the Jerry app! We’ll get you customized quotes from over 50 of the nation’s leading providers so you can get the best rate on the coverage you need. And it only takes a minute to get your personalized quotes.
Enjoy visiting your sister!
Matthew Macgugan
Answered on Dec 10, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free