How do you sell your car in Indiana?
I’m looking to sell my car and upgrade to a new one. How do I sell my car in Indiana?
How exciting! Upgrading a car is always fun. You’ll be happy to know that selling your car is a pretty straightforward process.
Follow these steps and you should be good to go:
- Find a buyer: Whether that’s online or by word of mouth.
- Agree on a price: None of this works until you work to agree on the final sale price.
- Have a third party inspect the car: Providing reports of a third party inspection ensures the buyer can trust you and the vehicle.
- Make sure you have all the vehicle documents: You’ll need the vehicle’s title and any other documentation you received when you first purchased your car.
- Complete a bill of sale: Indiana requires a proper bill of sale when selling a vehicle. The bill of sale includes the vehicle’s VIN, the purchase price, and both you and the buyer’s signature.
- Transfer the title: Once the bill of sale is complete, one of your final steps is to transfer the car’s title to its new owner.
- Cancel your insurance: Once you’ve transferred the title, you’ll want to cancel your insurance or remove the car from it. Leaving the car on your insurance after you’ve transferred ownership can result in liability for any damage the new owner causes.
- Remove your license plates: You’ll want to remove your license plates to put on your new car.
While this should cover how to sell your car in Indiana, you can always contact the DMV for any additional information. Most DMV websites will list the requirements for buying and selling vehicles.
Since you will be getting a new car, make sure you have the best protection on it by using the Jerry app. Jerry collects personalized quotes from more than 50 top insurance companies in seconds, ensuring you always get the best rates and coverage.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I remove water stains from car seats?
There was flooding in my area and while my car is okay, I have water stains on my car seats. I'd like to remove them, but I'm not sure how. What can I do to remove the water stains?
Nov 16, 2021
How do I go about getting car insurance?
I am about to purchase my first car, and the dealership says I need insurance to pick it up. I've never had to buy it before, so I'm not sure how to go about getting it. How do I get car insurance?
Nov 16, 2021
How do I see if my car is under warranty?
The engine of my 2019 Honda Civic seems to be giving out. I thought I had a warranty when I purchased the car, but now I'm not so sure. How would I find out?
Nov 16, 2021