How do you sell a car in West Virginia?
My elderly father loves his car but doesn’t drive much anymore and asked me to sell his vehicle. I live in Charleston. How can I sell the car?
That’s sort of heartbreaking that your father can’t do what he loves anymore, but may selling the car can give him some money to do some other fun things in life.
You have two options to sell a car in West Virginia: privately or to a dealership. Either way, you still need to gather these documents:
- Vehicle title
- Financial documents if the vehicle has a lienholder
- Warranty documents if the car has an extended or manufacturer’s warranty
- Bill of sale
- Odometer disclosure statement (Form DMV-7-TR).
- Copy of your driver’s license
Once you’ve collected the documents and lined up a buyer, do the following:
- Allow the buyer to conduct a thorough inspection of the vehicle.
- Provide the buyer with all maintenance records you have for the vehicle.
- Complete the bill of sale and odometer disclosure statement.
- Ensure you pay off all liens/loans and get a lien release.
- Transfer the title to the buyer using the form on the backside of the document.
- Remove your license plates from the vehicle.
- Remove the vehicle from your car insurance.
Because the vehicle is not yours, you will need to get this information from your father. He should also be present for the sale to avoid any confusion. If this was your father’s only vehicle, he should cancel his car insurance completely.
However, if your father has other vehicles and still requires car insurance, now is a good time to review the policy and compare quotes from multiple insurance companies to ensure he’s not overpaying.
If you want to leave the hard work of gathering quotes to someone else, use Jerry. The Jerry app can collect quotes from up to 50 top insurance companies in just seconds! They even help cancel your old policy once you’ve chosen the coverage you require.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you clean car battery corrosion?
My car battery has been having some issues, how do I clean up the corrosion around it?
Nov 02, 2021
How do you attach a front license plate to a Tesla?
I just got my Tesla delivered the other day. When installing my plates, I realized there was nowhere to mount the front license plate. Legally, I have to have a front license plate in my state. How can I attach a front license plate to my Tesla?
Nov 02, 2021
How do you remove paint from a car’s bumper?
I was at the gas station the other day. When pulling away from the pump, I scraped my bumper against one of the guardrails. The guardrail didn't dent my vehicle, but some of the yellow paint ended up on my car. How can I remove the paint from my bumper?
Nov 02, 2021