How do you reverse a car out of a parking space?
I’m teaching my son to drive and want a step-by-step of how to back out of a parking spot. How can I explain how to reverse out of a parking space?
Learning how to drive in reverse can be one of the most difficult things as a new driver. The steps you can share with your son are:
- Adjust your seat and mirrors: Before anything else, check your seat and mirrors are in the proper position. You’ll have to look over your shoulder when reversing. You may also need to use your mirrors, so you should see a full view of the back window and clear views of the side of the car.
- Start the car: With your foot on the brake, shift the car into reverse. Take a deep breath and look over your left shoulder.
- Slowly back the car out: Once the area is clear, you can slowly back out.
- Rotate the wheel: When you get about halfway, still looking out the back, slowly begin to rotate the wheel the way you want to go.
- Adjust the wheel: As you continue to reverse, adjust the wheel. By the end, you want your car fully straight and facing the proper way.
- Shift the car into drive: Re-adjust your wheel, press the gas, and off you go!
Best of luck in teaching your child to drive! And when they’re ready for insurance, the Jerry app is here to help you find it. Jerry is the easiest and most effective way to find a car insurance policy that is customized for you.
After providing you with a comprehensive cross-analysis of the best policies across providers, Jerry will handle the phone calls, paperwork, and renewals for your top pick so that you don’t have to.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you inflate a completely flat tire?
My Dad gave me his old winter tires to use this year, but one is completely flat! How do I inflate them?
Nov 09, 2021
How do you get a urine smell out of car vents?
I’ve noticed in the last couple of days my car’s AC has started to smell really badly like urine. How can I get a urine smell out of the vents?
Nov 09, 2021
How do you check if your car has insurance?
How can I check if a car has insurance? My mom offered to let my son borrow her car until he gets his own. We want to add him to her insurance policy, but she can’t remember if it has insurance.
Nov 09, 2021