How do you remove a former spouse from your car insurance?

My dad still has his ex-wife listed on his car insurance. How can he remove her? They haven't lived together in a year.

“In most cases, your dad needs to call his car insurance company to remove his ex-wife from his insurance policy.
Depending on the company, additional documentation may be required to prove she no longer lives with him. However, most companies will remove the former spouse and re-rate the policy. If he isn’t sure how to move forward, reaching out to the company is the first step. An agent will provide him with all the information he needs to remove her from the policy. They can also inform him of any rate changes due to the removal of her.
Should his rate increase, he could also look into other companies. Insurance rates vary between companies, so he may be able to find more affordable car insurance elsewhere. Use the Jerry app to compare coverage and prices from dozens of reputable car insurance companies so you’re always getting the best rate.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Sep 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.