How do you remove a car seat?
How am I supposed to remove a seat from my car? I’m going to start living in my car to make traveling easier, and I want to remove a seat in the back to make it easier to install a bed.
Depending on your car, it could be pretty difficult to remove a car seat. But try not to worry—where there’s a will, there’s a way! While it may not work for every car, you can follow these general directions to remove a car seat:
- First, you’ll need to find the bolts that hold your seat in place. There will usually be one in each corner of your seat, but there may be more.
- Unscrew the bolts using a ratchet.
- Some seats will attach with a latch system rather than bolts. If you have this kind of seat, simply fold it down and lift up the latches.
- Some rear seats will also have wiring that you’ll need to disconnect. They should have a plug connecting them to your car’s electrical system, which should unsnap relatively easily.
- Your seat should be free of your car now, so you’ll just need to remove it from your car.
If you have a hatchback, it might be easiest to simply pull it out through the trunk. But if you decide to remove an entire rear bench seat, you’ll have an easier time pulling it through the side door.
Once you’re done taking out your car seats, take a minute to save on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide for free. When you find a better plan, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even help cancel your old policy!
MORE: How to lie in your car
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you redo lacquer car paint?
What can I do to redo or fix the clear lacquer paint on my car? It’s peeling in a few spots. It looks really bad, but I don't want to spend the money on a professional job.
Nov 20, 2021
How do you remove bubbles from car stickers?
What’s the best way to remove bubbles from car stickers? I put some bumper stickers on my car the other day, and I’m just now noticing that there are a bunch of bubbles in them.
Nov 20, 2021
How do you remove bird poop stains on car paint?
What can I do to remove bird poop stains from my car paint? A flock of birds totally bombed my car the other day, and everything was already crusted on by the time I found out.
Nov 20, 2021