How do you register your vehicle if you are living out of your car?

I just upgraded to living in a van. I have been using my parents' address in North Carolina for mail even though I haven't lived there for two years. I'm currently in Arizona. Is there any way I can register the car here without a physical address?

Sophie Newman · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Registering a vehicle you live out of is a bit tricky, especially if you plan on driving around a lot. 
Typically, you register the vehicle wherever you have your permanent address listed. If the last permanent residence you have on file is in North Carolina at your parents’ house, you would keep using this until you have a new permanent address established.
Establishing residency in Arizona means you have a permanent address you have:
  • Been at for at least six months.
  • Used to obtain an Arizona license.
  • Used to register your vehicle.
  • Used to register to vote.
If these do not apply: You haven’t established permanent residency and therefore cannot register your vehicle in Arizona.
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings