How do you register a car in Montana?

I finally moved from Utah to Montana for my new job, but I’m not sure what to do with my car since it still has Utah plates. How and when do have to register a car in Montana?

In Montana, you must register your car within 60 days of moving to the state. If you do not register your vehicle within 60 days, you may have to pay a steep fine.
To register the car, you will have to visit your county treasurer’s office in person and provide the following:
  • Completed vehicle registration application
  • Proof of insurance
  • The title to the car
  • Registration certificate from former state
Additionally, you will have to pay a registration fee. If your vehicle is four years old or under, the fee is $217. If the vehicle is five to ten years old, the fee is $87 and for vehicles older than 10 years the fee is $28.
Don’t forget to inform your car insurance company of your move. The insurance company will have to rerate your policy for Montana, so it may be a good time to shop around and compare quotes to ensure you are getting the best deal. To easily compare car insurance quotes online, download the number one car insurance app in the Apple store: Jerry. A licensed broker that offers end-to-end support, Jerry gathers personalized quotes, helps you switch plans, and will even help you cancel your old policy. The average Jerry driver saves $879 a year on car insurance!
Jack Walsh
Answered on Oct 22, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free