How do you put freon in a 2004 Honda Accord?
My air conditioning is running pretty warm, and I think it’s due to low refrigerant levels in the AC system. What’s the best way for me to add freon to my Accord?
Air conditioning is an essential part of a comfortable car ride when it’s warm outside. While the AC system can be complicated overall, replacing the refrigerant is pretty easy!
Follow these steps to put freon in your 2004 Honda Accord:
- Step 1: Check your owner’s manual for information on the AC system, including the location of the pressure valve under your hood.
- Step 2: Open the hood and find the low-pressure plug—it should have the letter L on the cap. Remove it.
- Step 3: Start your car and set the air conditioning to the highest power and lowest temperature.
- Step 4: Shake the refrigerant canister before you start. Then, clamp the canister hose to the low-pressure valve.
- Step 5: Slowly release freon into the AC system, keeping a cautious eye on the pressure gauge as you do. Be sure to stop as soon as you hit the ideal pressure, as specified in your owner’s manual.
- Step 6: Take off the refrigerant and reattach the cap.
Hopefully, those steps help you recharge your air conditioning. But remember, refrigerants can be dangerous. Make sure to use gloves and goggles while you work to avoid any serious injuries.
Since you’re taking time to recharge your AC, take an extra minute to save on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide for free. When you find a better plan, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even help cancel your old policy.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I replace the clutch slave cylinder on my Ford F-150?
The transmission on my Ford F-150 has been acting up when it cycles gears. How do I replace the clutch slave cylinder on my truck?
Dec 08, 2021
How do I start a Ford Taurus without a key?
The key fob for my 2015 Ford Taurus died, and I need to drive the car to my dealer for a replacement. How do you start a car without a key?
Dec 07, 2021
Will I get my down payment back on a not-at-fault total loss?
I recently got into a car accident, and luckily, everyone is safe, but my truck is totaled. I just bought my brand new 2022 GMC 1500 Sierra six days before the accident (there’s not even 800 miles on it). I am concerned that I will lose my $10k down payment. I have gap insurance, but it only covers what I owe.
Dec 07, 2021