How do you put an electric engine in a car?
Instead of buying an expensive new electric car, I was thinking about converting one of my gas-powered cars instead. I know EVs are better for the environment, and I want to save money in the long run. Can you tell me how to put an electric engine in a car?
Answer provided by
- We recommend** hiring a professional**, as this type of project requires extensive electrical and mechanical experience. It’s also possible to purchase a conversion kit and have a professional walk you through each step.
- Expect to spend about $6,000 for parts, and $1,000 to $3,000 for batteries and installation fees. If you want to go all out, it can cost more than $20,000.
- The best cars for conversion are** light cars** under 3,000 pounds with manual transmissions. Heavy cars can restrict the electrical engine range, and automatic transmission uses up too much power.
- You also want a car body style that can accommodate the new batteries. Light and roomy models like the Honda Civic, Ford Escort, or Nissan Sentra are all great options.
- The two types of electrical conversions are universal kits and custom kits for specific models. An electric vehicle conversion kit costs at least $8,000 and that doesn’t include the battery.
- It will take at least three months to convert your gas-powered car to an EV, and conversion companies will often take about six months.