How do you put a hitch on a Honda Pilot?
I recently bought a 2018 Honda Pilot, and I want to install a hitch onto the back of it. Is there any way I can install the hitch on my Honda Pilot myself?
Yes, you can install a hitch onto your Honda Pilot at home, but you will need an extra pair of hands. Generally, the whole process will take about a half-hour to complete and you will need the following tools:
- A power drill
- Torque wrench
- 22mm socket
- 5-inch extension
- Exhaust pliers
Once you’ve gathered these tools, make sure that you are working in a well-ventilated, safe environment, and ensure that there are no pets or small children around. You may even want to wear gloves or safety glasses.
Now that you’re prepared, follow these steps to install your hitch to your Honda Pilot:
- Get an extra pair of hands to help you position the hitch behind your Pilot. Make sure that the weld nuts and attachment holes are lined up.
- If the bolts on the passenger side are blocked by the exhaust, you’ll need to lower the exhaust with your exhaust pliers. You will need to remove the rear rubber hanger attached to your exhaust to lower it.
- Attach the bolts and washers. Tighten each by hand before going back and tightening them with the 22mm socket to secure the hitch to your vehicle.
- Use your torque wrench and the 22mm socket to torque the bolts to 139 ft. lb.
- Return your exhaust to its original position by reattaching the rear rubber hanger.
Now that you’ve attached your hitch, take a moment to check out the Jerry app and see how much you can save on your car insurance.
Once you download Jerry, just answer a handful of questions that will take you roughly 45 seconds to complete and you’ll immediately get car insurance quotes for coverage similar to your current plan. Jerry customers save an average of $879 a year.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you reset a BMW brake light?
The light came on after I left the shop to get my brakes serviced. My guess is that the mechanic just forgot to reset it. How can I turn off my BMW’s brake warning light?
Jan 12, 2022
How do you reset a BMW ECU?
My car won’t start. I was doing some research online, and it seems like the ECU is probably the issue. How do you reset a BMW computer to factory settings?
Jan 12, 2022
How do you save an address in BMW navigation?
I want to save my mom’s address so that I don’t have to look it up every time, but I’m not sure how to do it. How do you store a destination in BMW’s navigation system?
Jan 12, 2022