How do you program the key for a 2010 Scion TC?
I lost my backup key fob so I bought a replacement key online. Now that I have the fob, I can’t figure out how to program it to my Scion car. Can you tell me how to program a key fob for my 2010 Scion TC?
Annette Maxon · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Get in your car and lock then unlock the car doors.
- Insert the key into the ignition within five seconds of locking and unlocking the doors. Pull it out. Reinsert the key and pull it out a second time.
- Reinsert the key into the ignition—this time, do not remove it. Leave the key inserted.
- Then, close and open your driver’s door. Repeat this step, closing and opening the door a second time.
- Turn the ignition on and off again.
- Once you’ve turned the ignition back off, take the key out of the ignition. At this point, you should hear the door locks cycle. This is your cue that the Scion is in programming mode.
- Now, grab the key remote you want to program. Press and hold the unlock button down for 1.5 seconds.
- Release the unlock button and immediately press down on the lock button, holding it down for two seconds.
- You will hear the door locks cycle again—this is your sign that the key programming was successful.
- Repeat the process of pressing the lock and unlock buttons if you have any other keys you want to be programmed.
- When all your keys are programmed, open the driver’s door to disengage the car from programming mode. You’ve finished the process and your key will be programmed to your Scion TC.
If you’re missing the original key, then you will need to seek out a locksmith to cut your new key to fit your
Scion Tc. However, be sure to thoroughly check your house for the original key before doing so—this can be a costly expense.
Fortunately, if you have towing and labor coverage as part of your
car insurance, these costs will likely be covered. If you don’t, adding
towing and labor coveragecan be an important step in making sure you don’t have to pay any unexpected labor fees out of pocket.
Most of the time, better coverage means a higher price tag. Unless you use
super appgathers affordable quotes, helps you switch plans, and can even help you cancel your old
insurance policy. And to ensure you always have the lowest rate, Jerry will send you new quotes every time your policy comes up for renewal, so you’re always getting the coverage you want at the best price.
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Car Repair Resources
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
What is the safety rating for the 2018 Nissan Rogue?
I found a great deal on a 2018 Nissan Rogue on Autotrader. I’m thinking about driving about 100 miles away to pick it up and then I’m going to gift it to my daughter. But before I do, I want to make sure that the Nissan Rogue is a safe vehicle. What’s the safety rating on a 2018 Nissan Rogue?
Can you buy a NIO electric car in America?
I’ve been reading about electric cars lately, and I’m really impressed with everything I’ve seen from Chinese EV automaker NIO. Is it possible to test drive or buy a NIO electric car in the U.S.?
How reliable is a Jeep Renegade?
I’ve always driven smaller cars, but now, I want to change it up and get a small SUV. Is the Jeep Renegade reliable in the long term? I don’t want to end up spending a lot of money on repairs.
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
Does State Farm Offer Rideshare Insurance?
State Farm offers rideshare insurance as an endorsement on an existing personal policy with State Farm.
How Liberty Mutual’s Accident Forgiveness Actually Works
Liberty Mutual offers accident forgiveness as an optional endorsement for existing policyholders—see if you qualify here!
Browse By Topics
Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free
No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies