How do you program a key fob for a 2003 Ford F150?
I ordered a replacement key fob online for my 2003 Ford but the dealer told me they couldn’t program it. I’m worried that I spent on a defective fob. Can I program this new key for a Ford F150 myself?
Answer provided by
Sorry to hear that! Don’t get discouraged. Fortunately, programming your new 2003 Ford F150 key is an easy DIY task that only takes two minutes.
Before getting started, keep these two tips in mind while programming the key fob:
- Avoid pressing on the accelerator
- Make sure all of your car doors are unlocked by pushing the *unlock button inside your car
Now, let’s start programming! Here’s how to do it:
- Get in the driver’s seat and start by quickly turning the ignition from on to off eight times, in ten seconds or less. Be careful not to move the ignition switch far enough forward that the engine starts. Push the ignition switch just far enough forward that the dash lights up.
- As you do this process, you will hear the car door locks locking and unlocking—this indicates that the car is in programming mode.
- On the eighth time, make sure you end with the ignition on.
- Next, you have 20 seconds to a button on your key fob—you can push any button you like, it doesn’t matter which one! You will hear the door locks cycle, indicating that the key is successfully programmed.
- If you have additional keys to program as well, press any button on them immediately after you do so on the first remote. The door locks will cycle every time you successfully program each additional remote.
- Now, take your car out of programming mode by turning the ignition switch to off. You’ll hear the door locks cycle once more, signaling that your car is no longer programming.
If your key fob replacement comes with an uncut key insert, you will need to seek out a locksmith to get this cut to fit your Ford. Before visiting a locksmith, you’ll want to double-check whether you have towing and labor coverage as part of your insurance plan. This will make sure that any labor costs are covered by your provider.
In the case that you don’t have insurance or simply don’t have good coverage, meet Jerry. A licensed broker, this super app does all the hard work of finding cheap quotes from the top name-brand insurance companies and buying new car insurance.
And to ensure you always have the lowest rate, Jerry will send you new quotes every time your policy comes up for renewal, so you’re always getting the coverage you want at the best price.
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you program a key fob for a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee?
I just bought a used Jeep Grand Cherokee but it only came with one key fob. I went ahead and bought a new key fob online, but I can’t figure out how to program it. Can I program the key fob for my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee without going to an auto mechanic?
Apr 22, 2022
How reliable is the Fiat 500?
I love how cute and zippy the Fiat 500 looks! It’s been my dream car since I first saw it. Now that I’m actually ready to get the car, I want to know if it is reliable first. Is the Fiat 500 a reliable car?
Apr 22, 2022
How do you change a Honda Accord's cabin air filter?
There’s a funny smell coming from my car whenever I turn on the AC lately. My boyfriend said my air filter probably needs to be replaced. How do you change a Honda Accord’s cabin air filter?
Apr 22, 2022