How do you pick a car battery?
My car keeps stalling, and I’m pretty sure the end is in sight for my car battery. I’ve never had to buy a new one before—how can I make sure to pick the best new car battery?
Super sorry to hear about your car battery, but kudos to you for being on top of picking out a new one! Picking a car battery really comes down to *the following five things:
- Size. It’s important to buy one that fits snugly into the battery tray. The sizes of these trays differ, so make sure you’re getting the right one. If you’re not sure about the size, your car’s manual should be able to tell you.
- Brand. Check your manual to see if there’s a specific brand that’s recommended for your vehicle. If not, call your local mechanic (if you have one) to see what they say!
- Reserve capacity. This is the amount of time that your battery can supply the necessary minimum of energy to your car if your alternator or fan belt fail. Once again, it’s a good idea to check your manual to see if there’s any reserve capacity you should be looking for, since every car is different.
- Age. Quite simply, newer batteries tend to last longer! If you have the funds to buy a new battery, it’s definitely a worthwhile investment.
- Cold-cranking amp rating. This should tell you how well your battery will fare in cold weather. If you’re in a hotter area, you may not have to worry about this—but if you regularly have frigid winters, it’s definitely important to check!
Taking all these factors into account can help you find the right battery for you. If you want to make sure that your battery (as well as the rest of your car) has the protection it needs, you may also want to consider reviewing your insurance policy, too.
To do this easily, check out the Jerry app. We’ll get you personalized quotes from top-of-the-line providers, so that all you need to do is pick the plan that works best for you. And once you’ve chosen a plan, we’ll even help you switch!
Best of luck, and happy shopping!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I calculate my car insurance premium?
I’m curious about how my car insurance premium is calculated. My rate has felt a little too high for a while, and I’m thinking of switching, but I want to make sure I really am being charged too much before I switch. How can I calculate my premium?
Nov 24, 2021
How do you buy car insurance before buying a car?
I want to get insurance before I buy my car next week so I can feel safe when I drive it off the lot. However, I’ve never done this before—how can I buy car insurance before buying a car?
Nov 24, 2021
How do you remove tinted film from car glass?
I’ve decided to remove the tint from one of my windows—it’s made it difficult to see others, and sometimes makes it hard for others to see me. However, I don’t want to damage my windows, so how can I remove the tinted film from my car glass safely?
Nov 24, 2021