How do you paint a scratch on your car bumper?
How do I paint over scratches on my car’s bumper? I ran over a big branch the other day and got some scratches that I’d like to fix.
If you don’t mind investing a little elbow grease and time, you can fix the scratches on your bumper yourself.
To paint a scratch on your car bumper, follow these steps:
- Remove the bumper cover so that you have access to all the surfaces. The bumper cover (what we commonly refer to as the bumper) is the plastic piece that curves around the bottom of your car and is the part that has scratches.
- Wash and dry the entire bumper.
- Using 180 grit sandpaper, sand the surface of the bumper, then clean the area again.
- Apply a body filler putty to any damaged areas in an even layer and sand it once more.
- Apply a primer. After the primer has hardened, sand the ara with a 400 grit sandpaper.
- Apply a coat of paint and let it dry.
- Mix a clear coat with a hardener and apply two layers over the paint.
Your bumper should look good as new! Reattach it to your car and get back out on the road (avoiding treacherous branches as best you can).
Since you’re investing in your car’s maintenance, why not take a couple of extra minutes to make sure that it’s protected with a good insurance policy? The Jerry app can help you find the best rates on car insurance without compromising on coverage. The app will show you rates from over 50 top insurance companies, including Nationwide, Allstate, and Travelers, in just minutes. All you need to do is choose the best deal for the coverage you want.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How should I clean rubber car mats?
I recently got a new Jeep Wrangler, and it’s perfect for off-roading and outdoor activities. The rubber car mats are getting pretty filthy from heavy use. I know that some soaps and chemicals aren’t good for rubber, so how should I be cleaning my rubber car mats?
Nov 11, 2021
How do I clean the roof of my car’s interior?
I opened an old soda in my car a couple of days ago and the can completely exploded. The roof of my car’s interior got the worst of it. Is there any way for me to clean this?
Nov 11, 2021
How can I clean stains off my car seats?
My eight-year-old daughter is obsessed with this slime stuff all the kids are making, and the stuff is seriously sticky! She spilled a bunch in the seat on the way home from school. I got most of it up, but it left this glittery green stain and I’m not sure how to clean it. Any tips on getting stains off of my car seats?
Nov 11, 2021