How do you open a stuck car door latch?
What’s the best way to open a stuck car door latch? My driver’s side door is jammed, so I’ve been sliding in from the passenger’s side. I think it’s about time I get it fixed.
Dealing with broken door latches can be frustrating and inconvenient. Luckily, they aren’t so hard to fix!
Follow these steps to open a stuck car door latch:
- Spray WD-40 directly into the lock and use your metal key to try unlocking it.
- Unscrew the inside door handle. This should be fairly simple once you gain access to the cabin from the passenger’s door.
- Remove the interior door panel so you can see the mechanisms inside the door.
- Locate the lock mechanism beneath the door handle.
- Identify the issue in your lock mechanism. Check for rust, stuck pieces, or dislodged components.
- Clean and lubricate the mechanism. You can use a mix of white vinegar and warm water to clean the mechanism if it’s dirty. Then, spray it with WD-40 to make sure it moves as it should.
- Replace the door panel and door handle.
Hopefully, you fixed the issue! If you’re still having trouble with the door latch, bring it to a mechanic. Professionals can be pricey, but it’s probably worth the cost if it can help you maintain a well-functioning car.
To help offset the price of repairs, start saving on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you find and compare quotes from over 50 top providers for free. If you find a better rate—Jerry can help you switch plans and even help cancel your old policy!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How can I get rid of my old car seats?
My triplets have finally outgrown their car seats. I hate the thought of the seats sitting in a landfill somewhere though. We have kept them pretty clean, and I feel like someone else can use them. Where can you take old car seats?
Nov 12, 2021
How can I get my car out of the snow?
It is my first winter driving in snow, and I am super nervous! I am terrified that I will get my car stuck somewhere and not be able to get out. How can I get my car out of the snow?
Nov 12, 2021
How do I turn off the hazard lights on my Tesla Model 3?
It's going to sound so stupid, but I have a new Tesla, and I can't figure out how to turn off the hazards. I looked all over the dash and the button doesn't even seem to exist. How do I turn them off?
Nov 12, 2021