How do you open a 2011 BMW 328i trunk without a battery?
What should I do to open my 2011 BMW 328i trunk with a dead battery? My battery died just as I was getting home, but I have ice cream in the back!!
It can be frustrating when electrical car components stop working, but we can always rely on the mechanical counterparts! Since the 2011 BMW 328i trunk is electricity-based, you’ll need to be creative to get it open with a dead battery. Follow these steps to open your trunk:
- First, remove the two Torx screws just below the glovebox to release the panel below the glove box.
- Disconnect the power socket and light that are attached to the panel.
- Beneath the fuse box, you should see a big flat horizontal junction box. Disconnect the **big brown grounding wire.
- Next, find the small gray wire with a stripe of green and apply a 12V charge by making a small cut in the wire’s insulation and connecting it to the positive lead on a new battery. Ground the negative lead on an isolated piece of metal.
- When you plug the battery into the power socket, the trunk should pop open!
If you don’t feel confident playing with the electrical system yourself, wait for a professional. While melted ice cream can cause a mess, it’s nothing compared to the damage you’ll do if you mess up the car’s electrical.
If you’re worried this might happen again, get roadside assistance with Jerry. The Jerry app’s leading roadside assistance connects you with their network of *over 55,000 service providers**. Membership includes services like lockouts, jump starts, towing, and key replacements—and it could cost you as little as $4.16 a month!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you check the oil in a BMW?
What steps should I take to check the oil level in my BMW? I used a dipstick in my old car, but I think there’s another way to do it with my new car. I’m just not sure how.
Nov 20, 2021
How do you jump start a BMW 528i?
What steps do I need to take to jump start a BMW 528i? My battery’s getting pretty old, and I’m worried it might die soon. I’d like to be prepared to jump start it when it does!
Nov 20, 2021
How do you activate the front parking sensors on a BMW?
What steps do I need to take to activate the front parking sensors on my BMW? I would love to have them turned on because I have to parallel park all the time, but I can’t find the switch for them.
Nov 20, 2021