How do you install parking sensors on a Ford Focus?
What’s the best way for me to install parking sensors on my Ford Focus? I’m terrible at parking, and I think they would help me. A friend gave me the EKYLIN Reverse Backup Radar System, but I have no clue how to set it up!
Parking sensors are a great tool for avoiding accidents and navigating small spaces. Some parking sensors are easier to install than others—so you may want to do a little research before you settle on a sensor.
If you decide to use the EKYLIN Reverse Backup Radar System, you can follow these installation steps:
- First, you’ll need to place the sensors on your rear bumper.
- Measure your bumper and try to space the sensors evenly apart. As a general rule, they should be 1.5 to 2.5 feet from the ground and one to 1.5 feet apart.
- Mark each sensor placement with electrical or masking tape.
- Next, you’ll need to drill small holes in your bumper for each sensor using the universal hole saw provided in the kit.
- Thread the wires through the holes in your bumper and click the sensors into place in each hole. Make sure they’re straight.
- Decide where you want to place your control box. You’ll need to drill an additional hole to help the wires reach the box in your cabin, so your placement should be strategic.
- Zip tie the cables together so you only need to drill a single hole into your cabin.
- Thread the cables into your cabin and connect them to your control box.
- Connect the control box to the included visual display, and mount it on your dashboard.
- Finally, attach the power cable and test out your sensors!
If that seems like too much work, you can find parking sensors that snap onto your rearview mirror or hang over your bumper. Alternatively, you could bring the sensors to an auto shop and pay for a professional to install them.
To offset the price of a professional installation, start saving on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide for free. When you find a better plan, Jerry can help you buy your new coverage and even help cancel your old policy!
MORE: How to parallel park
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you open the coolant cap on a Ford Focus?
What steps should I take to open the coolant cap on my Ford Focus? I need to refill the coolant, but I’m not totally sure how to access it.
Nov 20, 2021
How do you lock a Ford Focus from the inside?
This feels like a silly question, but is there any way to lock a Ford Focus from the inside? I have an older model, which might be part of the problem—but I can’t find internal locking controls anywhere!
Nov 20, 2021
How do you remove Ford dually fenders?
Is there any way to remove Ford dually fenders? I was thinking about making a couple modifications to my car, but I’ll need to get rid of the dually fenders.
Nov 20, 2021