How do you install a door hinge?
We just moved into a new house, and I want to do some decorating to make it feel more like home. I found some great vintage doors I want to put up, but they don’t come with hinges – they just have the holes where the hinges should go. How do you install a door hinge?
Answer provided by
- Measure the depth and width of the holes already cut in the door for the hinges. You’ll want to purchase new hinges that fit these holes
- Next, line up your new doors with the door jambs to ensure the new door’s hinges align with where the old doors were
- Lay the new door back down and place the hinge so the door will swing correctly. (The pin in the hinge should be on the outside edge of the door)
- Screw the door plate of each hinge into the edge of the door.
- Lift the door up to the door jamb and line up the other half of the hinge with the holes in the door jamb.
- Screw the hinges into the door jamb