How do you improve car battery life?
Is there a good way to improve a car battery's life? I want my battery to last for as long as possible. I've gotten some tips from friends but I'm not sure what to believe.
Car batteries usually last from 3-5 years, depending on how you treat them. If you’re negligent, the battery could die even earlier! That being said, you can always use these tips to improve your car battery’s life:
- Try to keep short drives to a minimum. Your engine actually recharges your battery as you drive, so short trips will prevent it from charging as it should.
- Always turn off your lights when you turn off the car. Leaving electrical components on while the engine is off is an easy way to kill your battery fast.
- Make sure that your battery is tightly fastened. Loose connections could lead to inefficient electricity usage—meaning your battery might put out more electricity than your car uses.
- Test your battery whenever you can. Knowing your battery’s condition can help you take steps to keep it from dying.
- Keep your battery clean by scrubbing away any corrosion with a mixture of baking soda and water.
- Care for your whole car by keeping up with regular car maintenance. Cars are complex, and one failing part might create inefficient conditions for the battery.
If your battery does die at an inconvenient time, you should have roadside assistance with Jerry app. Jerry’s leading roadside assistance gives you access to their network of over 55,000 service providers across the United States. That way, you’ll have access to services like jump starts, key replacements, and towing—no matter where you are!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I get pen out of car upholstery?
I left a ballpoint pen on my car seat and it exploded in the sun. How do I get the pen ink out of my car upholstery?
Oct 28, 2021
How do you keep rats out of a car engine?
How do you keep rats out of a car engine? I have to park my car outside most of the time and rats have been getting into the engine at night.
Oct 28, 2021
How do you junk a car in California?
What's the best way to junk a car in California? I've had this old car on my property forever, and I want to get rid of it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with it.
Oct 28, 2021