How do you fix gutter rash on alloy rims?
I was driving in Phoenix recently and, I’ll admit, I’m not the best at city driving, but I accidentally scratched one of my rims on the gutter—the scratches aren’t too deep so I thought I might be able to fix it myself. How do you fix gutter rash on alloy rims.
Answer provided by
- Use 600 grit sandpaper to sand down the scuffed area.
- Wash off the sanding dust and let it dry.
- Apply chemical metal or a P38 body filler and follow the product instructions to fill in any indentations or scratches.
- Allow drying time of at least 24 hours.
- Once dry, use a 400 grit sandpaper to smooth down the filler—the goal is to achieve a uniform wheel shape, so don’t go overboard.
- Apply a spray-filler to the sanded area, building up at least three coats and allowing fifteen minutes between each one.
- Once the final coat is applied, leave for another 24 hours to allow the filler to properly harden.
- Apply two coats of an etching primer, allowing adequate time for drying.
- Apply several coats of paint followed by a final coat of clear coat or sealant.