How do you fix cammed-over brakes?

I own a couple of trucks that I make deliveries in, and one of them has been having serious brake problems. I had a technician come and take a look, and they said I had cammed-over brakes. I’m not super familiar with the term, but is there any way I can fix cammed-over brakes?

Chloe Jenkins · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Having cammed-over brakes can be a serious hazard on the road. Once it happens, you can no longer safely drive that truck.
The best solution to this problem is to have your brake shoes replaced. This process can vary depending on the type of truck you have, so it’s best to have the vehicle serviced by a professional.
Generally, to have your truck’s brake shoes replaced, you can expect to pay between $150 and $300 per axle. This price will fluctuate depending on your truck’s brake pad materials, so it’s best to find this information out and call around for quotes with several mechanics.
If the price of getting your truck’s brake shoes replaced feels a little steep, check out the
app and see how much you can save on your
car insurance
policy. The average Jerry user saves $887 a year on car insurance, which could certainly help pay for new brakes.
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings