How do you file a lien on a car in California?

I was looking at a used car a couple of weeks ago and found out it had a lien on it. While I’m not interested in buying it anymore, how do you file a lien in California?

Andrea Barrett · Answered on Jan 26, 2023
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
There are a few things to look for when buying a used car—and a lien is definitely one of them! If you’re buying from a dealership, they will usually file a lien for you. But if you already have a title and need to add a lien to it, you can file a lien on a car in California by filing a UCC-1 form.
The UCC-1 form is a legal form that a creditor files to secure its interest in a borrower’s property or assets used as collateral for a loan. When a creditor files a UCC-1 form, it notifies the public that the creditor has the right to repossess the assets as repayment on the underlying debt.
You can obtain a copy of the UCC-1 form on the California Secretary of State website, which you can print and then submit.
When a loan includes a lien, there are three possible outcomes:
  • The debt is completely paid off, thereby removing the lien.
  • Payment stops and the lienholder continues to hold the title until the property is sold to and paid for by someone else.
  • The remaining debt is paid to release the lien, and the property or vehicle can be sold.
Good luck in your continued search for a used car!
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free