How do you easily change the battery in your Honda key fob?
My key fob has been working fine, but I’ve had it for a while, and I’m worried it’ll start dying soon. What’s the best way to change the battery in my Honda key fob?
Most key fob batteries last about three to four years, so you probably have plenty of time before it starts dying on you. That said, there’s nothing wrong with staying ahead of the curve!
You can follow these steps to change the battery on a Honda key fob:
- Find out which battery you need by looking at the back of your key fob. If you can’t see a model number, use the next steps to open the fob and check your current battery type.
- Open your Honda key fob by taking out the screw (if you have one) with a small screwdriver. If you don’t have a screw, start by removing the metal key from its slot in the fob and using it to gently pry apart the fob.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to pry out the old battery. If you still don’t know which battery to buy, check the back of your old battery for a model number.
- Insert your new battery in the same position as the old one. Use the + and - marks on the key fob and on the battery to help guide you.
- Reconnect the halves of your key fob, either by snapping them together or reinserting the screw.
- Test your key fob.
Hopefully, these steps will help you change the battery in your Honda key fob! If you’re still having trouble, try not to worry. You could always buy a new battery from a local Honda dealer—they may also be able to change the battery for you!
While you’re waiting to have your battery changed, take a minute to save on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app helps users save an average of $879 a year on car insurance. Just download the app, answer a few questions, and Jerry will send you competitive quotes from top providers like Progressive and Nationwide that are similar to your current coverage.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I pull the back seat down in a Honda Accord?
I’m making a trip to IKEA to buy a new dresser, but I only have my car to haul the box. How can I fold the back seat down in my 2013 Honda Accord to make more room?
Dec 17, 2021
How do you change the cabin air filter in a Honda Crosstour?
I’ve noticed the air quality in my Honda getting a little stale and unpleasant. My uncle suggested that I swap out the cabin air filter, but I’ve never done it before and I don’t want to mess anything up. Is there an easy way to change the cabin air filter on my Honda Crosstour?
Dec 17, 2021
How do you change the battery in your Honda Civic key fob?
I’ve got a Honda Civic, and the key fob stopped working. I’m about to go on a road trip, and I really need it before I leave. What’s the best way to change the battery in a Honda key fob?
Dec 20, 2021