How do you dye your car carpet black?
My car’s carpet has lost its color over the years. I’m getting ready to sell and I want it to look good, so how do you dye your car carpet black again?
Sprucing your car up before selling it is a great way to make some extra money. Fortunately, you can purchase products to restore the color of your carpet to a darker hue with a carpet dye.
To dye your car’s carpets, do the following:
- Make sure to clean and vacuum your car’s carpet thoroughly. You can rent a carpet shampoo machine from most grocery stores, or take your car to have the interior shampooed, which includes the carpets and seats.
- Let your car’s carpet dry.
- You can use dark black hair dye or black fabric dyes. These soak into the individual fibers of the carpet and change their color, but might not have the most pronounced effect on damaged or very old carpet.
- Spray a fabric coating for a color enhancer.
- Brush the coating thoroughly through the carpet to ensure fibers don’t stick together.
- Vacuum the carpets.
- Repeat as needed for greater color change.
Even with these steps, it may not be quite as dark as it was when your car was new as old carpets absorb dye differently. You can look into the costs to replace your carpet if you don’t get the results you want from the dyes.
Once you sell your car, be sure to update your insurance company with the change. If you buy a new car to replace your old one, shop for car insurance to find the best rates using the Jerry app. Jerry compares personalized rates from more than 50 of the top providers, including Nationwide, Allstate, and Travelers, and delivers the best deals to your phone in minutes for free. The average Jerry driver saves $879 a year on car insurance!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How much does a full car detail cost?
My car desperately needs to be cleaned! How much is a full car detail going to cost?
Nov 17, 2021
How do I buy a used car in Virginia?
I just relocated to Virginia for work. I moved from New York City, where public transit was great and I never needed a car. Now I need to buy a car but don’t want to spend a lot of money, so I’m looking at a used vehicle. How do I buy a used car in Virginia?
Nov 17, 2021
How do I dry out car carpets?
I left my sunroof open when it rained and now the floor is wet. My leather seats dried quickly, but my carpets are soaking. How do I dry out my car carpet?
Nov 17, 2021