How do you drain the gas tank in a Honda Accord?
My mom said she would help me replace my fuel pump but only if I took the gas out of the tank. What’s the best way to drain the gas tank in my Honda Accord?
Draining the gas tank in a Honda Accord might seem like an intimidating process—but try not to worry. It’s actually pretty easy!
All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Buy a siphon tube, which looks like a clear pipe with a fist-sized bulb in the middle.
- Step 2: Open your fuel tank like you would when you fill it with gas.
- Step 3: Put one end of your siphon tube into the gas tank.
- Step 4: Stick the other end of the tube into a catch pan or bucket. It may be helpful to tape down the tube.
- Step 5: Squeeze the pump in the middle of the siphon tube until you see the gasoline come out. Once the gas starts flowing, you can stop squeezing the pump.
- Step 6: Continue draining the gas tank until it’s empty.
If you follow these steps, you should have an easy time draining your gas. But remember, gasoline is a toxic substance. Before you start draining the tank, make sure you’re well equipped with gloves and goggles. Good luck!
While you’re taking the time to replace your fuel pump, take another minute to save on car insurance with Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app helps users save an average of $879 a year. Just download the app, answer a few questions, and Jerry will help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide for free.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How much does it cost to tint Honda Accord windows?
My car seats get really hot in the summer, and I feel like I don’t have any privacy when I drive—especially in traffic. I’ve heard that window tint can solve my problems, but it sounds expensive. What would it cost me to tint my Honda Accord windows?
Dec 08, 2021
How do you check the brake fluid in a Honda Civic?
What’s the easiest way to check the brake fluid level in my Honda Civic? My brake pedal is starting to feel a little weird, and my brake warning light popped on. I figure I can skip a professional diagnosis if the brake fluid’s the problem, but I don’t know how to check it!
Dec 08, 2021
How do you delete a phone from a Honda Civic?
My partner and I broke up a week ago, and their phone is still in my car’s Bluetooth system. For whatever reason, it bothers me seeing it there all the time. What’s the fastest way for me to delete a phone from my Honda Civic?
Dec 08, 2021