How do you degrease an engine?
I want to degrease my engine from home, but I’m not sure what I need. How do I degrease my engine by myself?
Answer provided by
Thankfully, you don’t need a lot!
All you need to degrease your engine is a degreaser and some plastic bags to protect any vulnerable components. If you don’t feel like picking up an engine degreaser from your local auto store, household degreasers (like kitchen cleaner) also work.
To start, here’s what you’ll do:
- Make sure your engine is cooled down. Applying water or degreaser on a hot engine can be dangerous—not to mention damage your engine. If you’ve just come home from driving, open your hood and wait at least 15 minutes before starting.
- Cover vulnerable engine components using plastic bags. Be especially careful to protect your alternator and battery, as well as any ignition wires or exposed cables. If you have an exposed engine air intake, you’ll want to cover this as well.
- Apply the degreaser. Be sure to be thorough!
- Scrub your engine using a synthetic-bristle brush. If you notice any caked-on dirt or oil around valve covers or other components, you may need to apply a little elbow grease.
- Rinse off the degreaser working from back to front. Use water sparingly around the components you’ve covered with plastic bags to prevent water damage!
- Let your engine dry. You can use a towel, rag, or a compressed-air tool to help speed up the process.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully degreased your engine.
Degreasing your engine is a process you’ll have to repeat several times over the course of your car’s lifespan. Sometimes, shopping for car insurance can feel the same way—-luckily, Jerry makes the process easy.
A licensed broker and insurance app, Jerry lets you easily shop and compare quotes from over top providers. Swapping your policy has never been easier: Jerry takes care of the paperwork, finds you the cheapest rates, and can even help you cancel your old policy! Best of all, Jerry users save an average of $800 a year on car insurance!
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you remove spray paint from plastic?
I’ve been toting around some art supplies and a can of spray paint leaked all over the inside of my car! Can you tell me how to remove spray paint from plastic?
May 06, 2022
How do you fix an engine oil leak?
There’s oil on the cement under my parked car. Pretty sure I’ve got an engine oil leak. How do I fix an engine oil leak?
May 06, 2022
Can I put my 2-door Chevy Tahoe on 24s?
I’ve got a 2-door Chevy Tahoe and I’m thinking of putting some 24-inch wheels on it. Does anyone know, will 24s work on a 2-door Tahoe?
May 06, 2022