How do you connect a trickle charger to your car battery?
I don’t use my car too often, so my friend gave me a trickle charger to keep my battery in shape. I’d like to use it this weekend, but I don’t know how to hook it up. What’s the best way to connect a trickle charger to my car’s battery?
Trickle chargers are great tools for keeping your battery in good condition. Luckily, they’re also easy to use! Follow these steps to safely connect your trickle charger to your car battery:
- Step 1: Set the trickle charger voltage to the right setting for your battery. Most cars do best with 12 volts, but you should consult your owner’s manual or mechanic before starting.
- Step 2: Scrub your battery terminals with steel wool to make sure it gets a good connection with the trickle charger. Make sure the car is off before you start.
- Step 3: Connect the charger cables to your battery by first clamping the black (-) terminal to the battery, followed by the red (+) cable.
- Step 4: Plug the trickle charger into an outlet and turn it on.
- Step 5: Unplug it after two days—at most—to avoid any battery damage.
Congratulations! If you followed those steps, then your battery should be hooked up to your trickle charger. Since you don’t use your car too often, consider buying a floating charger for longer periods. Floating chargers are long-term trickle chargers, so you can keep them plugged in indefinitely without damaging your battery.
Since you aren’t driving much, take a moment to reassess your insurance needs with the Jerry app. As a licensed broker, Jerry can help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide. When you find better coverage, Jerry can help you switch policies and even cancel your old one!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you manually close the sunroof in a Toyota Camry?
What steps do I need to take to manually close the sunroof in my Toyota Camry? I taped a trash bag over the top for now—but that’s not a long-term solution.
Nov 23, 2021
How do you clean sludge out of your car engine?
My oil warning light turned on and the oil pressure was really low, so I popped the hood to check my oil. But instead of oil, I found this thick, pasty substance. What’s the best way to clean sludge out of my car’s engine?
Nov 23, 2021
How do you clean a stain off a car seat?
What’s the best way for me to clean stains off my car seats? Between messes from my kids and pets, I’m spending a fortune on professional cleaners. I decided to start cleaning their messes on my own, but I’m having trouble with this one stain in particular.
Nov 23, 2021