How do you clean the idle air control valve in a Honda Accord?
I’ve been having some trouble getting my car to idle lately, and I think I need to clean the idle air control valve. How do you do that in a Honda Accord?
To clean the idle air control (IAC) valve in your Honda Accord, just follow these steps:
- First you’ll need to disconnect the negative battery cable by loosening the nut on the cable clamp attached to the negative terminal, then lift the clamp off the terminal.
- Next, open the hood and locate the throttle body on the backside of the engine. Remove the two screws that hold the idle control valve to the throttle body.
- Squeeze the top and bottom of the electrical plug running to the IAC valve and remove it.
- At this point, you should be able to remove the IAC valve from the throttle body.
- Turn the IAC over. You should see two holes, one of which has a sensor inside. Spray the sensor with a non-residue electronic parts cleaner.
- Continue spraying the sensor until the fluid runs clear.
- Once your sensor is clean, you can reinstall the parts in reverse order.
Since you’re taking the time to clean your car, why not take a moment to shop for better insurance rates, too? It’s easy when you use Jerry! Just download the app and answer some quick questions to see your policy options in a comprehensive list. When you find a quote you like, Jerry can help you cancel your old policy and sign up.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you change the engine air filter in a 2012 Honda Civic?
Is there a way for me to change the engine air filter on my 2012 Honda Civic without taking it to a shop? I’d rather do it myself if I can since it would be cheaper.
Dec 15, 2021
How do you change a Honda Civic headlight bulb?
How can I change the headlight bulb on the passenger side of my Honda Civic? I want to make sure I do it right so that I don’t damage my car at all!
Dec 15, 2021
How do you change the oil in a Honda Civic from 2016?
Is there a way for me to change the oil in my Honda Civic from 2016 without taking it to the shop? I don’t want to pay for an oil change and I’m pretty handy, so I’m hoping I can dodge some bills by doing it myself.
Dec 15, 2021