How do you clean pee out of car seats?
I just adopted a puppy, and he’s a handful! I took him to the vet for a quick checkup, and he peed all over my partner’s lap and seat. I’m afraid it will leave a stain! What’s the best way to get pee out of cloth car seats?
Congratulations on the new puppy! Pets making messes is frustrating, but try not to worry—you’re not alone. Here are two tried and true methods for cleaning pee out of your car seats:
This vinegar and soap method works best on fresh stains. All you need to do is:
- Dab the urine out of the seat.
- Mix white vinegar and liquid soap with enough water to make it lather.
- Put the solution in a spray bottle and lightly spray the urine spot—don’t soak it.
- Scrub the area with a soft cloth.
- Repeat the process until the area is clean.
- Wipe off the foam and rinse the area with a damp cloth.
- Dab the water with a new towel and let it dry.
If the stain’s a bit older, you can try the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda method:
- Mix three tablespoons of baking soda in a spray bottle with ten ounces of hydrogen peroxide.
- Spray your cleaner on the stain.
- Let it sit for an hour.
- If the stain is still there after an hour, repeat the process.
- Once the stain is gone, rinse the area by blotting it with a damp towel.
- Dab the area with a dry towel.
- Let it dry.
If the stain remains, you can always take it to a professional cleaner. While their services may be expensive, the cost is better than driving around with a urine stain.
If you want to offset the price of a professional cleaner, start saving on car insurance with the Jerry app. As a licensed broker, Jerry can help you compare personalized quotes from over 50 top providers like Progressive and Nationwide in minutes. When you find a better rate, Jerry can help you switch policies and even cancel your old one!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you clean a car AC system?
What’s the best way to clean my car’s air conditioning system? The cabin is getting musty, and it smells even worse whenever I turn on the AC. I think the time has come for me to clean it out, but I don’t know where to start.
Nov 23, 2021
How do you clean the blue stuff on a car battery?
My car started growing or leaking a thick blue material. It’s building up around the terminals and doesn’t look normal. I want to clean it off, but I don’t know how to do it safely. How should I clean this stuff off my car battery?
Nov 23, 2021
How long should I drive my car after charging the battery?
My battery was dying so I had to jumpstart it. I’ve heard it’s best to take it for a drive afterward, but I’d rather not drive around aimlessly for half an hour if I don’t need to. What’s the minimum amount of time I should drive my car after charging the battery?
Nov 23, 2021