How do you change the batteries in a Toyota key fob?
Can I change the batteries in a Toyota key fob at home? I’ve been having problems unlocking my car from a distance lately, and I think my key just needs a new battery.
Changing the batteries in your key fob is easy!
In order to change the batteries in your Toyota key fob, just follow these instructions:
- Remove the metal ignition key by pressing the button on the side of the key fob. Set it aside in a safe place.
- You should see a small notch on the bottom edge of the key fob where the metal key used to be. Carefully, insert a small flathead screwdriver into the notch and gently pull the two halves of the key fob apart.
- Carefully remove the circuit board to access the battery.
- Remove the old battery from the back of the circuit board and replace it with a new CR 2032 3V battery. You should insert the battery with the negative side down.
- Put the key fob back together by following the instructions in reverse order, then test it to make sure that it works.
Since you’re taking the time to replace the batteries in your key fob, why not take an extra minute to save some money on your car insurance policy? The Jerry app can help you find the best rates by showing you a comprehensive list of quotes from more than 50 top providers, including Nationwide, Allstate, and Travelers, customized specifically for you. Once you find one you like, Jerry can help you sign up and cancel your old policy–all for free!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you change a Toyota battery?
How can I change the battery in my Toyota Corolla? It needs to be replaced, but it will be a lot cheaper if I do it myself.
Nov 17, 2021
How do I get out of my current car loan?
Is there a way that I can get out of my current car loan? I’m struggling financially right now, and I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to make the payments. I don’t want to lose my car, but I also don’t want to go through a repossession!
Nov 17, 2021
How do you negotiate a car loan interest rate?
What are some ways that I can negotiate a car loan interest rate? I’m preparing to buy a new car and I want to make sure that I get the best deal on the loan so I don’t get behind on my payments.
Nov 17, 2021