How do you change spark plugs in a Ford F150 4.6 engine?
Last week, I bought a used Ford F150 and would like to try replacing the spark plugs myself. I’ve never done this before. How do you change spark plugs in a Ford F150 4.6 engine?
Answer provided by
That’s great you want to attempt a new DIY project! For this, you’ll need to set aside a few hours and assemble the right tools and supplies.
Here are the general steps you’ll need to follow, but consult your owner’s manual, particularly, if this is your first time changing out spark plugs.
- Step 1: Collect the following supplies: new spark plugs (and perhaps new ignition coils), compressed air, screw driver, spark plug socket, ratchet extender, anti-seize grease, and torque wrench.
- Step 2: Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the plastic cover to the engine.
- Step 3: The spark plugs are located below each ignition coil; you’ll need to unplug and remove each ignition coil.
- Step 4: Using compressed air, blow away any debris.
- Step 5: Using your socket wrench, loosen the spark plugs and then unthread each one by hand and take them out.|
- Step 6: Apply a light coat of anti-seize grease to the treads of each spark plug.|
- Step 7: When installing each plug, locate each socket and begin by threading in the plug by hand. When the plug is threaded in place, then use your ratchet to tighten up the plug with your torque wrench according to the directions.|
- Step 8: Place a bit of anti-seize grease on the tip of each ignition coil before replacing them.|
- Step 9: Don’t forget to replace the cover to the engine and reconnect your battery.
Some DIY truck maintenance projects, such as replacing spark plugs, take several hours. But shopping for truck or car insurance with Jerry takes only minutes!
Once you download Jerry, just answer a handful of questions that will take you roughly 45 seconds to complete and you’ll immediately get car insurance quotes for coverage similar to your current plan. Jerry customers save an average of $800+ a year.
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
What others are asking
How many cars are in California?
Traffic in California is the worst. It doesn’t even matter where you go. I know that part of the issue is the 50 million people that live here, but it also feels like there are 50 million cars. How many cars are there in California?
Apr 28, 2022
How do I replace a fuse in my car
I think that my car has a blown fuse. I bought a replacement fuse, but I’m not sure how to install it. I’ve replaced blown fuses in my house before–is the process different in a car?
Apr 28, 2022
How do you check the insurance of a car online?
How can I check a car's insurance online? I seem to be missing my insurance papers, but my son assured me I can find the policy inofrmation online.
Apr 28, 2022