How do you change a starter on a 2000 Ford Ranger?
My truck has been spotty on starting lately—sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t—but today it stopped starting completely. It’s making a clicking sound, but the engine won’t turn over. How do you replace the starter in a 2000 Ford Ranger?
Jessie Devine · Answered on Apr 08, 2022
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Ack—it’s so frustrating when something we rely on doesn’t work. But don’t worry, we’ll have your truck starting up and running in no time. Changing the starter on a 2000 Ford Ranger takes a little bit of time, but you can do it.
Before you get started, you’ll need:
- A socket wrench
- A socket set
To change the starter in a 2000 Ford Ranger, do the following.
- Disconnect the battery—this is very important to prevent electric shock
- Find the starter under your Ford. It’s to the right of the motor on the bottom.
- Use the socket wrench to remove the bottom bolt, and save the bolt for later.
- Use the socket wrench to unbolt the positive cable
- Unbolt the top of the starter. It will come loose.
- Pull the starter out and place it on the ground. You may want to use two hands because the part is heavy.
- Next, position the new starter by matching the bolt holes to the mounts.
- Start at the top bolt. Secure the starter by turning the bolt clockwise, but don’t tighten it completely.
- Make sure the negative cable is run through the bottom bolt, and then turn it clockwise to secure it, but don’t tighten completely.
- Now tighten the top bolt all the way down, followed by the bottom bolt.
- Tighten the positive cable to the starter.
- Reconnect the battery
- Start the truck
That’s it! If it was a starter issue, your Ford Ranger should start up now. Get started saving on car insurance by signing up for Jerry. It takes less than a minute to sign up, and Jerry users save $887 per year on average.
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
What’s causing my engine to misfire until it’s warmed up?
Recently when I’ve tried to start my car it misfires, but only while it’s cold. After my car warms up, it doesn’t misfire anymore. Why does my car misfire until I warm it up?
Apr 07, 2022
What kind of oil does a Chrysler 300 take?
I want to start saving money by doing some car maintenance on my own. I am starting with an oil change, and want to make sure I am getting everything right. What kind of oil does a Chrysler 300 take?
Apr 07, 2022
How do you change the clock on a 2005 Ford Explorer?
Daylight savings just happened and I changed all my clocks, but I can’t figure out how to change the one in my truck. How can I change the clock in my 2005 Ford Explorer?
Apr 08, 2022
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
What Is Full Glass Coverage—and Is It Worth It?
Full glass coverage can help pay for a damaged windshield or other auto glass without needing a deductible first, often for several dollars a month.
How to Get a West Virginia Learner’s Permit
Once you turn 15, you’re eligible to apply for a WV learner’s permit. Here’s how you’ll need to prepare for the DMV.
Browse By Topics
Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free
No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies