How do you change a headlight on a 2014 Subaru Legacy?
I have a blown headlight on my 2014 Subaru Legacy. I changed a headlight in my old Toyota Camry easily, but I can’t figure this one out. What do I do?
Answer provided by
We’re sorry to hear your headlight is out. And we’re also sorry to hear it’s out in this car in particular. The 2010-2014 Subaru Legacy and Outback models make replacing the headlights strangely difficult, for reasons no one outside of Subaru HQ could ever explain. Ugh. But let’s help you get this issue resolved!
First, a disclaimer: This process is a lot harder than it is in most cars. These fourth-generation Legacy and Outback headlights are notoriously challenging. So read this first and decide if you’d be better off visiting a mechanic. If you do proceed, you’re going to need a trim remover tool or a flathead screwdriver.
- Turn your wheels away from the side you need to work on (so if it’s the driver’s side headlight, turn the wheel right, toward the passenger’s side)
- Locate the three pop-out rivets. One will be up inside the wheel well, near the top-front area of the tire, while the other two are just below the edge of the wheel well on the underside of the bumper
- Carefully pull the wheel well panel down and away from the body of the car
- With a flashlight, look up inside the hole. You should see a big gray disc. That’s your headlight access cover
- Turn the cover counter-clockwise to loosen and open it, and pull the cover out
- If possible, use your flashlight to look at the bulb and get a sense of where it’s located. There’s a harness to remove from the end of it, then a small clip to push up that releases the bulb
- Out with the old, in with the new! Replace the bulb
- Do these steps in reverse to put everything back together again.
It might not be easy replacing a headlight in a 2014 Subaru Legacy or Outback, but it is easy saving hundreds or even thousands of dollars per year on car insurance!
Jerry is America’s #1 top-rated car insurance app, saving users an average of $887 per year without sacrificing their coverage. In just a few minutes, you could be saving a fortune on car, home, and renter’s insurance. Give Jerry a try and see how much you’ll save!
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
At what age can you get a driving licence in the U.K.?
I’m planning on taking my kids to London for an extended vacation. My sons are huge fans of Top Gear and can’t wait to have their first British driving experience. What age do my teenage boys have to be to get a licence in the United Kingdom?
Apr 15, 2022
What is the curfew for teen drivers in New Hampshire?
I just got my license at the age of 17. My manager has been asking if I’m available to occasionally take the late shift at the diner where I work, and I told her I’m unsure because I might have restrictions on my driver’s license. Is there a curfew for teen drivers in New Hampshire?
Apr 15, 2022
What is the most common car in Colorado?
I’m curious to know which car is the most common in Colorado and whether it would be good for the great outdoors.
Apr 15, 2022