How do you change a car battery?
My daily driver is getting some repairs done and will be with the mechanic for a week or two. I have an old truck in my garage that I plan to use in the meantime, but the battery is dead. I picked up a new battery while dropping off the daily driver. What’s the easiest way to change a car battery?
- Put the car in park, let the engine cool, and open the hood.
- Locate the battery and identify the positive and negative leads. The positive lead is usually red and labeled with an addition sign, while the negative lead is typically black and marked with a subtraction sign.
- Disconnect the battery starting with the negative terminal and then the positive terminal. You may need a wrench to disconnect the leads fully.
- Remove the battery by using a wrench to undo any clamps or fasteners holding it in place.
- Install the new battery and reattach any clamps or fasteners you previously removed.
- Connect the new battery starting with the positive lead and then the negative.
- Close the hood and start the car to make sure it works.