How do you cancel your car insurance online?
Is it possible for me to cancel my car insurance online? I hate dealing with insurance agents, but I think I need to cancel my policy.
Dealing with car insurance companies can be frustrating, so canceling your policy online is a viable option for most insurance providers!
You can log in to your account to find out whether your company allows online cancelations. Even if you have to call to cancel, be sure to follow these steps to make sure you’ve officially canceled your policy:
- Contact your insurance provider with a date and reason for canceling your policy.
- Ask your insurance company about fees and refunds. Some companies might offer refunds on unused premiums, while others may charge you a cancelation fee.
- Email your written notice of cancellation to your insurance agent. You may need to use an official form, which you can usually find on your provider’s website.
- Tell your bank that you’re switching policies. This is especially important if you have a car loan that you’re still paying off.
- Cancel your automatic payments to ensure you aren’t surprised by any last-minute fees.
- Have your new insurance all set up before you cancel. Lapses in coverage can make your insurance go up, and driving while uninsured can result in serious legal consequences.
- Get confirmation from your provider. One benefit of in-person cancelations is that you get immediate confirmation. Online confirmation may take a bit longer, so keep an eye out for any emails from your provider.
If this process seems a bit overwhelming, try using Jerry. A licensed broker, the Jerry app can help you gather and compare affordable quotes in minutes. It will even help you switch plans and cancel your old policy! All you need to do is download the app, sign up, and pick a new policy—Jerry will handle the rest!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How can I buy my car back from my insurance company?
My car insurance company said my car was totaled after an accident. I think the damage is repairable. Can I buy back my car?
Oct 20, 2021
How do I check my car insurance claim history?
I'd like to see my claim history for my car insurance because I think it's affecting my rate. I also want to be sure it's accurate. How would I do that?
Oct 20, 2021
How can you buy a car without a license?
Is there any way you can buy a car without a license? I'm 19 years old. I want to get my license, but I'm a little nervous. I think if I bought a car, I'd feel more motivated.
Oct 20, 2021