How do my husband and I get my rental and deductible expenses from an uninsured driver?

"My husband was hit by an uninsured driver who was backing out of a driveway. Our policy has collision coverage that will pay for the damage, less the deductible.

We do not have uninsured motorist or rental reimbursement coverage. How do we recoup the deductible and rental car expenses?"

“Once the insurance company makes a payment on your claim, they have a right to recover the money and they will pursue the other party for damages. They will also attempt to recover your collision coverage deductible and rental car expenses in the process.
Most insurance companies are very good at this, but there is no guarantee that they will recover the money within a certain time frame, especially when the other party is uninsured.
Talk to your insurance company about which expenses are or are not recoverable. They will be able to give you a better idea of their expected recovery time frame.
If you have not yet rented a vehicle, check with your repair shop. Many shops offer free or reduced-cost rental vehicles for customers who turn to them for insurance claim repairs.
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free