How do I winterize my car for Alaska?
My family is planning a move to Alaska from California and I’m worried about how our cars will handle such extreme cold weather. How can we winterize our cars for our move to Alaska?
Winterizing your cars for harsh Alaskan winters will be very important and surprisingly easy. Here’s what you need to do:
- Test your car battery with a handheld tester. This will tell you the voltage of your battery and if it is weak or unstable.
- If it hasn’t been done in a while, a safe bet would be to replace your car battery.
- Keep your battery terminals clean. Use a small amount of water and baking soda to clean any corrosion off of your battery terminals.
- Use silicone spray or rubber care such as Gummi Pledge to lubricate window weather stripping. This will keep it from freezing or breaking down in the harsh cold.
- Lubricate door locks, latches, and hinges to keep them from freezing and becoming inoperable.
- Check the tread depth on your tires and if necessary install snow chains or switch to winter tires.
- Check your tire pressure.
Going from driving in sunny California to snowy Alaska is certainly going to take some adjustments. While you’re becoming accustomed to your new environment, make sure that you and your cars are properly insured for the best price with the Jerry app.
Jerry generates competitive quotes from more than 50 top providers in less than a minute for free. Jerry gathers your information from your past insurer, so you’re not responsible for any long forms or phone calls. You get all of the savings and coverage, with none of the hassle.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you get snow off of a car without scratching the car?
I just got a beautiful new BMW, but unfortunately, I live in Pennsylvania where snow and ice are sure to come every winter. I’m worried about keeping my car looking nice after it snows. I’ve scratched up car paint before trying to remove snow; how can I do it without damaging my car?
Dec 22, 2021
How do I install Apple CarPlay on a Honda CRV?
I just purchased a new Honda CRV. I was pretty jazzed about the Apple CarPlay feature because I’m an Apple fanatic. The only issue is that I’m not sure how to install it. How can I install Apple CarPlay on my Honda CRV?
Dec 17, 2021
How can I hide a car for Christmas?
I bought my wife an Audi S6 for Christmas and it arrives in just a couple of days. How can I hide the car until Christmas?
Dec 22, 2021