How do I wash my car in the winter?
I try to wash my car when it’s cold out, but the water freezes before I can dry it! How do I wash my car in the winter?
How frustrating! Washing your car in the winter is a matter of waiting for the right time and using the proper supplies.
- First, try to wash on a day that is above freezing. At least 45 degrees should help prevent the water from freezing that you mentioned.
- Use clean water and a high-pressure nozzle to spray off the dirt from the lower portion of your vehicle. Be sure to remove salt that may have accumulated from salted roadways as well. Try to clean under your car as best as you can, but always be careful if you plan to raise your car to do this.
- Use mild soap. Make sure to pick a soap that isn’t too harsh or built to fight grease, which could damage the clear coat on your vehicle. Separate soapy water from clean rinse water and use warm water as it takes longer to freeze.
- Wash inside a covered area if it’s available to you. This will help the water from freezing on your car and prevent an ice slick from forming on your driveway, which could be dangerous.
- Dry it as you normally would, using a soft cloth or a clean, non-abrasive towel. Also, dry the edges of your windows to prevent them from freezing shut due to trapped water.
Then, you’re ready to hit the road in your clean vehicle! To ensure you don’t get stuck in the snow, use Jerry. Jerry offers customers a modern roadside assistance membership. Along with traditional benefits, you get Uber-like tracking for the status of your service and the ability to contact your service provider directly for as low as $4.16 a month.
MORE: Winter car covers
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do I tie a kayak to my car roof?
The fam and I are going kayaking this weekend. How do I tie a kayak to our car roof racks?
Nov 16, 2021
How do I start a car with low compression?
My 1998 Honda Civic has low compression. How do I start a car with low compression, so I can drive it home and do the repair?
Nov 16, 2021
How often should a car air filter be replaced?
I keep smelling a weird gasoline-like odor every time I turn my car on. I think it might be an issue with my air filter. I don’t think I’ve ever changed it to be honest. When should you replace a car air filter?
Nov 16, 2021