How do I switch my car insurance from state to state?

I will be moving from Utah to California next month. How do I switch my car insurance between states?

Congrats on your upcoming move! A move can be overwhelming, and you don’t want your car insurance to get lost in the shuffle.
When you move, you’ll have to let your car insurance company know because car insurance car insurance premiums vary depending on where you live.
First, you’ll need to check to see what the minimum liability requirements are in your new state, as each state sets its own limits. California tends to have some of the higher minimums, so keep that in mind when you look for rates.
Once you decide on the coverage you need, contact your new provider to tell them your new address. Again, your rates will likely be higher than they were before.
You’ll need proof of insurance in your current state to register your car with the local DMV. You will also need to show proof of residency and identification.
If you find that your current provider’s rates are higher than you expect, it may be time to shop for new insurance. Jerry can help! Jerry will collect your information from your current provider and provide you with quotes so you can compare rates. Jerry will help you sign up for your new policy—including canceling your old insurance.
Grace Cho
Answered on Nov 10, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store