How do I sue the city for car damage?

I drove over a very unkempt road, and my car suspension was damaged by a pothole. How do I sue the city for car damage?

Bumpy roads can be frustrating to deal with and dangerous to drive on! Since your car was damaged by city property, you can file a claim with your insurance company just like you would with any other incident. That said, you’ll need to gather the same information you would in a car accident, including:
  • A statement describing the incident,
  • the time and specific location of the accident,
  • a description of the pothole (including size and depth), and
  • an account of damages caused by the pothole.
Once you’ve filed a claim, your insurance company will work with you to figure out which government entity is responsible for the road. When you identify the culprit, your provider will help you file a claim against them.
If you ever find yourself stuck in a similar situation, make sure you have roadside assistance with Jerry. Jerry’s leading roadside assistance connects you with their nationwide network of over 55,000 service providers. Plus, membership includes benefits like towing, lockout service, and a mechanics hotline.
Matthew Macgugan
Answered on Nov 24, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free