How do I submit a claim for diminished value after being rear-ended by an uninsured driver?

I was just in an accident and have uninsured motorist bodily injury and property damage. I want to submit a diminished value claim for my car and loss of wages. I don't want to hire a lawyer and would prefer to handle it myself.

“Only a few states allow an insured to submit diminished value claims. Additionally, when you submit a diminished value claim, you are typically submitting it to the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Since you were in an accident with an uninsured driver, you will have to submit the claim to your own insurance company. But since you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your company is unlikely to accept a diminished value claim.
They will already be paying out for your vehicle repairs and any other injuries or damages related to the accident. Paying out any more money could mean you would benefit financially from the insurance transaction. And the purpose of insurance is to restore you to your original pre-accident financial state, not to make you wealthier.
You should check with your insurance company to see if work loss or any additional benefits are included with your uninsured motorist coverage.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free