How do I start a car after the battery is down?
How do I start my car after draining my battery? Last night, I accidentally forgot to turn off my vehicle’s interior light before I stepped out of the car. Now my battery is drained.
Don’t worry, accidents happen, and we can all get a little scatter-brained sometimes. To start your car again after the battery is down, you will need to jumpstart your vehicle. To jumpstart your vehicle, you will need an assisting vehicle that is running.
Before the jumpstart process begins, note that the problem vehicle and the assisting vehicle should never touch.
In addition, when the jumper cables are attached to the battery, the red and black ends of the cable should never touch.
How to connect the jumper cables:
- Step one: Begin with both vehicles turned off.
- Step two: Attach the positive end of the jumper cable to the positive terminal of the drained battery.
- Step three: Attach the other end of the positive jumper cable to the assisting vehicle.
- Step four: Clip the negative end of the jumper cable to the negative terminal on the assisting vehicle.
- Step five: Take the other end of the negative cable and clip that to the negative terminal of the drained battery.
- Step six: Turn on and start the assisting vehicle.
- Step seven: After the other vehicle has started, the car with the dead battery can also start.
- Step eight: Allow the vehicle with the drained battery to run for at least 20 minutes to recharge.
- Step nine: If the vehicle with the dead battery does not turn on, call for professional assistance. Good luck!
If your vehicle does not turn on and you do not have roadside assistance membership, consider getting one through Jerry. Along with traditional benefits, you get Uber-like tracking for the status of your service and the ability to contact your service provider directly for as low as $4.16 a month.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How do you prevent car windows from fogging up?
My windows get super foggy, especially at night or when it rains. What should I be doing to stop my car windows from fogging up while I’m on the road?
Nov 18, 2021
How can I remove gap insurance from my car loan after I break even on the loan?
I took a look at my car loan statement, and I noticed that I've finally broken even on the loan. Because of this, I no longer need gap insurance. How do I get rid of it?
Nov 18, 2021
How do you get super cheap car insurance?
How do I get super cheap insurance? I'm on a tight budget and can't spend a lot on car insurance. However, I know I need it to drive my car. What can I do?
Nov 18, 2021